Pre-Thanksgiving fire erupts on Green Cove
Thu, 12/01/2016 - 9:24am
Matthew Osborne Cherokee Scout
Despite the burn ban that has been in effect for weeks, some local residents still are not heeding the warnings.
That happened on Nov. 23 off Green Cove Road, where a fire burned for two hours after someone carelessly dumped hot stove ashes in the woods.
“People need to be careful when doing that,” said Charles Choplin of the N.C. Forest Service. “It is important to soak them in water first.”
That warning is part of many advisories the forest service and local fire departments have put out since wildfires started nearly a month ago.
For the full story and exclusive web content, subscribe today.